Tuesday, August 23, 2005

CATCHING UP

Sorry I haven't been able to write but I have been crazy busy - plus y'all don't want to hear the daytime drama that is my life, right? =+) School has started and I made my schedule a bit too hectic, so after realizing that I am a human being, I cut down on my classes so I have some time to breathe. My gig at TheatreWorks ended on Sunday and even though I never got to perform in front of a live audience, I feel that I could have gone on - and in a way I did - we had a full runthrough on stage and a couple of rehearsals. The highlights of this experience for me have to be: Being able to sit in during table work (I really wish more directors did that), watching Robert Kelley pay such incredible attention to detail - the man is a genius, getting to see all these incredible actors bring these characters to life, realizing that I was understudying one of the best actors I have ever seen perform, the joy that was Pamela Myers - I am completely in love with her - (BUY HER CD! The Chance To Sing- It's incredible! You can also get it on Amazon.) but mostly the chance to sing for Tom Jones and actually getting to sing Joe Thalken's music with him playing the piano - that one will stay with me for a loooong time. It was an amazing summer - scary at first but incredibly rewarding. I also realized what an undertaking understudy work is - I applaud all those who do it. It's really fucking hard work! Really glad I did it but it's not something I wanna try anytime soon. =+)

Tonight I attended my friend Heather Clemens' CD release party which was fab. Heather has grown so much as a performer and it is such a joy to see her perform. She & I go waaaay back. She sang some songs from her CD as well as a number of beautiful jazz gems & standards. The great Larry O'Leno was at the piano and Heather had a few special guest singers including the amazing Houston Allred (he accompanied Heather in an aria from La Rondine which was the highlight of the evening) and Tammy Nelson from Beach Blanket Babylon. Even though I wasn't feeling so hot, I was nudged over to the piano to sing a song for my dear friend. It was a great evening.

I'm excited about seeing Eqqus in Berkeley tomorrow night with a couple of friends from my drama class. I've always wanted to see it - full frontal nudity - yes please!! It reminds me of a time long ago, when I saw a then unkown Jude Law full frontal NAKED on Broadway in Indiscretions (with Kathleen Turner & Roger Rees) I'll never forget the woman in front of me - as soon as Jude rose from that bath tub and was there for all to see, she turns to her friend and says "Ooh, now it's gettin' good!"

=+)

M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home