Wednesday, February 03, 2010

HARVEY


Last night was one of those nights I will remember for a long, long time. I finally saw Fiddler on the Roof on stage. Believe it or not I have never seen the show live. Oh sure, I have read the show, was supposed to have played Te... uh, a story for another time, been told by dozens of people that I would make a great Tevye. A role so closely identified with the great Zero Mostel, I guess I always assumed that he was the "definite" Tevye and that's how the role was to be played - bigger than life. This is why I love the theatre so much. Because there is no such thing as a definite anything. The theatre is constantly changing and growing and a performance is not like any other. Any actor can tell you that. No one performance can ever be the same, so how can anything be definite in theatre?

When I heard that Harvey Fierstein would be replacing Topol in the national tour I was overcome with joy. Mr. Fierstein is someone I consider to be an idol of mine. Besides my beloved mentor and friend Linda Hoy, there are 3 people whose work have deeply influenced my career - Stephen Sondheim, Elaine Stritch and Harvey Fierstein. I have met Ms. Stritch, spoken on the phone with her and was even invited to her one woman when she was here in San Francisco. She reached out and touched my life at a moment when I seemed lost and wasn't sure I wanted to perform anymore. (If I ever meet Mr. Sondheim I can die a happy man.) Waiting by the stage door last night to meet Mr. Fierstein I was as nervous as I have ever been. Not only has he created some of the most wonderful roles I hope to play someday (Edna in Hairspray and Arnold in Torch Song Trilogy) but he is also an amazing writer whose credits also include the book for La Cage aux Folles (another show I have to do). I have some friends who don't see Mr. Fierstein as the milkman Tevye but I am here to tell you that his performance was nothing short of genius. Yes, there is that...voice but he uses that voice to win you over with his perfect coming timing. I never realized that Tevye could be so funny. His delivery was priceless.

The singing? Whoever said Tevye had to have a great voice? Zero Mostel certainly didn't have a beautiful voice. Sure he could carry a tune but he was no Richard Kiley. Mr. Fierstein delivered on the most memorable performances I have ever seen. So rich in energy and he found those moments when the really showed what a wonderful dramatic actor he could be. A true idol of mine. I have not done the "stage door" thing in many years but I wanted to shake his hand not just or Fiddler but for all the inspiration he has given me throughout the years. He was so kind to me and I handed him a note that I hope he reads. This was truly a night to remember and to all those who think that Mr. Fierstein is miscast - well that's your opinion. I do encourage you to go to the Golden Gate Theatre and see what an amazing talent Mr. Fierstein is. He might even surprise you and win you over.

The production was truly terrific and I am glad I waited to see Fiddler for so long. I guess I was meant to see this production because now I understand why I should play this part and I can't wait to play it now. And like my friend Alex once told me, "when you play it, you'll play the hell out of it." Well sure,I have to make Mr. Fierstein proud.

Cheers,

Martin

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home