Monday, December 05, 2005

A MAGICAL OPENING NIGHT

Opening night of Into The Woods was...well, It was one of those magical nights I know I will remember for the rest of my life. The entire day was an emotional one for me as I kept thinking about the first show I saw at TheatreWorks and how I hoped that one day I would get the chance to work there - I never thought that my dream would come true - twice in one year. I also kept thinking about a couple of years back when I thought I didn't want to do theatre anymore - I started to think that maybe a guy of my size had no place on stage. I am so relieved that bullshit way of thinking is gone. There will be always be parts for guys my size - this year alone, I played a deliciously evil role in Sweeney Todd, was part of a brilliant ensemble in The World Goes 'Round, assisted directed two plays at my college, understudied six different characters in Harold & Maude and now I couldn't think of a better way to close the year than with this opportunity. I am over the moon.

After the grueling process of tech & previews - we were ready to open. We had an amazing opening night audience which also included my Mom & my mentor/friend Linda Hoy - both seemed so proud. A lovely reception followed the performance in the Grand Ballroom of the Lucie Stern. The magic continues.

The next day we had not one but two performances to do and then today at 8:30 AM I visited St. Joseph's school as part of TW's school outreach program to get kids excited about the student matinee this upcoming Wednesday. Yes, It was one of those coffee days but I had a blast talking to the kids about the theatre & the show.

We have eight performances this week so I am going to try to go to sleep early tonight and catch up on some much needed rest.

Before I forget, I found one more article about the production, this one from the Mercury News. The reviews should start coming this week and I will post them here as they are printed. Richard Connema from Talkin' Broadway had this to say on All That Chat: "I don't usually do this before my review comes out but TheatreWorks production of Into the Woods is a perfect gem."

Have a great week y'all!

=+)

M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home