CD RESPONSE: SWEENEY TODD

I just purchased the new recording of the revival of Sweeney Todd with Patti LuPone & Michael Cerveris. Let me start by saying that I would kill to be able to see this production - I think the concept is genius. Patti LuPone IS Mrs. Lovett - she's amazing. I like how she has a darkier edge with this recording - Mrs. Lovett is less brassy and more of a sexual predator. I'm totally in love with Michael Cerveris - I really wish I could see his performance. The rest of the cast (who double as the small orchestra) is great (Mark Jacoby's Turpin is awesome - I saw him in Showboat on Broadway - a great voice!) though I don't know why they turned the Beadle into a baritone role. (I bet it's so much easier to sing though!) If you are a true Sondheim/Sweeney freak then get this CD - you'll love it. You can't go wrong with the original recording but the best one is the NY Philharmonic recording - if anything for the orchestra and the dream cast: Patti LuPone, Audra McDonald, George Hearn, Lisa Vroman, Davis Gaines & Neil Patrick Harris.
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I want to send all my love to my beloved friends and especially my dear Heather who is all the way in Seattle - I will be seeing you soon! So to all you young lovers out there - have a wonderful day.
=+)
M.
p.s. Speaking of Sweeney - I will be going to see Urinetown with some of my dearest friends from our production of Sweeney - can't wait!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home