Monday, January 30, 2006

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS


The 12th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were given out Sunday evening honoring the best in television & film. I think it's wonderful that the guild gives these awards since it is the actors that vote for the winner. I was very impressed with what Philip Seymour Hoffman said in his acceptance speech. He said (and I'm paraphrasing) that competition is a weird thing - we don't work alone and actors have to have each other's backs. I liked that. I loved how when Sean Hayes won, he thanked Brokeback Mountain Director Ang Lee for giving him a chance - priceless.

A lot of my favorites won - Hoffman for Capote, Felicity Huffman for Desperate Housewives, Sean Hayes for Will & Grace, Desperate Housewives for Ensemble comedy, Crash for Ensemble film.

It is interesting to note that all of last years winners in the film acting category went on to win the Oscar. I hope that's true for Hoffman this year. The others are negotiable (Reese Witherspoon, Rachel Weisz, Paul Giamatti.) This year's Oscar Nominations will be announced on Tuesday at 5:30 AM. When I was a young gay man I would wake up in time to hear them, but now that I am a lazy older gay man I will just have to hear about it sometime on Tuesday. =+)

For complete list of winners, visit the Screen Actors Guild Website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home