Saturday, February 20, 2010

SUCCESS!

I am so happy to report that my first music event at Max's was a huge success thanks to my special guest stars Beth Guido and Tania Johnson and of course my fabulous Max's singers Kent Casmir and Leslie Sorci. The event was very succesful. The restaurant audience were thrilled to hear such wonderful voices. I am hopeful that in a few months I will be able to do another event, this time around with more time to plan.

On the 12th I caught Coastal Rep's production of Always, Patsy Cline. This production made me so proud to be a part of the Coastal Rep family. I couldn't help but be proud of Michael Lederman and how much this theatre has grown over the years. I saw this show for the first time last year when San Jose Stage did it. That production was one of my top favorites of the year. It's hard to compare the two productions because I really enjoyed them both. Judith Miller does not look or sound like Patsy Cline but I thought her portrayal was heartbreaking and one of the best musical performances of last year. In Coastal Rep's production, Catie Chase does look and sound like Patsy Cline and I also thought she was heartbreaking. Two completely different performances and both made me weep silly. Roxane Ashe was a wonderful Louise and I got a kick out of seeing Roxane be in a musical. The band was out of this world and the incredible set (a piece of Coastal history) which was a barn, was actually made from a real barn. Always, Patsy Cline does not need any help from me to get folks to see it - when I saw the show it was sold out and from what I hear the rest of the run is sold out. Another beautiful production at Coastal Rep.

A few days ago I caught my beloved friend Brian Yates Sharber in Theatre Rhino's production of Tick, Tick, Boom. Brian was amazing (as if there's any doubt) and I got a kick out of seeing my wonderful drummer buddy Alex Szotak perform with Dave Dobrusky's band. The show reminded me of the talent of Jonathan Larson and how sad it is that he died so young. Rent is considered to be his masterpiece but imagine what else he could have created. I am looking forward to seeing Chicago at NDNU next week.

Not much else to report.

Hope y'all are doing well.

Cheers,

Martin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home