CYRANO WEEK 4: OPENING!
Last week was certainly full of perpetual anticipation. Last Tuesday was a full orchestra rehearsal onstage which gave us a glimpse of Mr. Domingo's portrayal of Cyrano. I thought we would have rehearsal the following day but it was a day off for us. I come from the theatre where on opening week we rehearse until we die. Thursday was our final dress rehearsal where many lucky high school students from all over California got to see the entire production without a hitch. I had some friends in the audience which made me very happy. I was running on pure adrenaline that night and don't remember much about that evening. I cannot forget the wonderful response we got from these students. They were so appreciative of what they had seen. When Mr. Domingo came to take his bow, it was like Elvis had walked in the room. I will never forget that moment for as long as I live. I couldn't believe I had the privilege of being a part of that moment not as an audience member (as I usually am) but actually on stage with the rest of the principals. Surreal beyond belief.
After the rush of curtain call, my best friends Maryann & Natali came backstage to meet me, as we were leaving we saw a number of people waiting for Mr. Domingo to come out. My friends really wanted to meet him so we stayed to wait for him. He was so gracious and signed autographs and posed for pictures. They were so happy. We had two days off before our big opening night and I was filled with nervous excitement. I wasn't scared about performing, I just had all this excitement bottled inside and I couldn't wait for Sunday and the festivities that were to follow.
Opening performance was filled with a lot emotion but I was not prepared at all for what happened. We started and everything was going well. After I'm done with my scene I usually head up to my dressing room where I take off my wig and most of my costume, put on my robe and head downstairs to the canteen where I chill until intermission (when the munchies come out) and then I usually head back upstairs until It's time to put on my costume back on, get a make-up touch up and curtain call time. As I was walking downstairs I noticed some commotion and overheard that they were supposed to get Mr. Domingo's cover dressed. I couldn't believe what was happening. I went downstairs and saw that everything on stage was fine until one of the acts ended and I did notice that the transition was taking a little longer than usual. It was then that David Gockley came out and announced that since the beginning of the opera, Mr. Domingo was indisposed but would like to finish the performance with the audience's indulgence. The audience must have felt the same relief I was, as I was watching this announcement. Mr. Domingo continued with the performance and was brilliant. The curtain call at the end of the performance went on forever. It was so clear how much this man was loved.
With the show done, I put on my dress clothes and headed with a friend from the show next door to the fabulous opening night party. Mr. Domingo did make an appearance but had to leave shortly after. Mr. Gockley introduced all of the principal cast (including me) and the artistic staff. The view from that balcony overlooking city hall was just beautiful and at the party I was able to thank my amazing director Petrika Ionesco for giving me this amazing opportunity.
I really wanted to sleep all day Monday but it was the last chance I had to attend rehearsals for Fiddler on the Roof at Hillsdale which opened last night. Because of my performance schedule and rehearsal schedule at San Jose Stage I am not able to catch any of their performances. I will try making the end of Act 2 this weekend, in between rehearsal in San Jose and heading over to SF for the opera. Rehearsals for Every Christmas Story Ever Told began on Tuesday, with 2 performances of Cyrano this week: Wednesday and Saturday. I need to make it to Monday November 1 where nothing is marked on the calendar. I can't complain for one second because I am working and I have never been happier.
Happy Halloween y'all!
Cheers,
Martin



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home