THEATRE RESPONSE: LESTAT

Since this is a brand new year, I have decided that I will be a little more free in my opinions regarding a lot of stuff - especially theatre. Having said this, here is what I thought of Lestat:
After reading numerous negative posts, reviews and even fellow professional actors telling me how bad the show was, I still went to the show with an open mind especially since my sister is a dedicated Anne Rice fan. (Well maybe not so much now that Rice has said she will not write any more vampire books due to her new religion) We had wonderful seats, the show began and thus far everything's going okay - I'm thinking what is everyone complaining about? - this isn't too bad. Carolee Carmello sings an awesome song "The Crimson Kiss" and there is a beautiful Act I ending. I was actually excited to see the second act.
I have never changed my mind so quickly about anything. Act II is by far one of the worst pieces of theatre I have ever had the misfortune to see. It's something Max Bialistock would produce. The show is not ready to be performed. They need to go back to the drawing board, bring Sir Elton from his honeymoon to write some songs, cut some and not do it over faxs and e-mails and perhaps take more than 4 days to write it. I left that theatre feeling insulted. It was so horribly bad - I mean fucking awful - I can't even begin to describe how horrible it was. The music, the book, the acting, the direction, the ridiculous fire "effects" - beyond mediocre. And the ending - oh my God - the humanity!!!! It was like ending a dark show like Lestat with a Hakkuna Mattata number - all I could think of was FUCK YOU!!!! I was horrified. People were leaving in droves during curtain call.
Okay, now that I got that out of my chest - let me tell you what's good about the show:
*By far the best performer there is Carolee Carmello and she is the only one who has some decent music to work with.
*Hugh Panaro who is delicious in every way seems so lost in the role. Yes, he sings very pretty and I wish I could have seen him as the Phantom but he seems utterly lost in the role and I don't think it's his fault - the book does nothing to show us who he is. Elton needs to write him a good song that sums up the character. His best number was "Sail Me Away" - but it was pretty but a bland pop song at best. I felt almost bad for Panaro & Carmello since they are phenomenal performers - sometimes you just have to do the work to pay the bills. I'm sure this is one of those shows for them.
*Drew Sarich who replaced Jack Noseworthy (who very wisely left or was let go from the show) has an amazing rock tenor sound that made me melt. We need to see more of him or better yet more of him singing.
*The costumes were stunning
*Some of the sets were spectacular - but those graphics - come on.
By far the most annoying thing in the show was Allison Fischer and her character Claudia. When she sang "I Want More" I wanted to shoot myself in the temple. She also doesn't need a second song. Cut, cut, cut.
I really hope they go back to the drawing board before this thing goes to Broadway or it will get eaten alive by the critics. Act I has a lot of promise - fix that first then rethink the entire second act - cut some songs (almost all of them and re-write new ones) get rid of a couple more actors (or three or four) and maybe, just maybe it will have a chance.
I know that is probably the most furious & mean spirited post I have ever presented here but when I spend $170 on theatre tickets I expect to see a good show and not this work in progress that really should still be in workshop mode.
I have asked my sister to provide her comments of the show since she saw numerous changes to the books that didn't do the show any service. Her response will be posted here soon.
If you already have tickets - my condolences and if you don't - do yourself a favor - save your money. This Lestat sucks.

Great talent in a really bad show - Carolee Carmello & Hugh Panaro in Lestat. I can almost hear them saying "help me, heeeeelllpppp me!"



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home