Wednesday, August 08, 2007

AVENUE Q!!



One of the best theatre experiences ever! Some say that good things come to those who wait and I have been patiently waiting for this sow to come to SF! The production far exceeded my expectations and I laughed my ass off - actually I had a big dumb ass smile on my face for most of the show. The cast was terrific but Christian Anderson (pic - right) who plays Nicky, Bear & Trekkie Monster was the standout for me - there was just this way he was handling the puppets that seemed better than the other actors, plus he was the eye-candy too =+). Kelli Sawyer has a lovely voice as Kate Monster and her rendition of "There's a Fine Line" was heartbreaking. Yes I found myself crying at puppets singing ballads - how pathetic am I?!!! Kudos to Minglie Chen also as the other Bear puppet - the 2 Bear puppets stole the show. Robert McClure did a fine job with Princeton/Rod although I wished a little more from him vocally.




You know the more of these touring shows I see the more I notice how these actors pace themselves vocally through an 8-show week. I found that while the singers were all great - they picked their moments to shine and moments when they were just marking it - interesting. I always find myself giving 110% vocally when I sing but then again I haven't done 8-shows a week for more than 6 weeks - hell of a business huh? Also I can't wait to play the part of Brian in the show!!!

The first preview crowd was on fire last night and gave them a rousing ovation. I can't recommend this show enough - it is all about having a good time and to top it off - the show also has a lot of heart - go see if while you can.


OTHER NEWS:


While I was at the show my fellow La Mancha cast members were doing a runthrough with our Aldonza this week Ms. Kate Del Castillo - tonight I will be performing with Kate without ever having rehearsed with her - it should be fun and exciting.


Oh more fab theatre news - for my upcoming birthday I just received 2 tickets for Sweeney Todd at ACT - can't wait!!!


Cheers


Martin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home