REFLECTING ON 2008
2008 has been quite the year. I have done four very challenging and rewarding projects - from my first opera to my first job as a professional musical director to my first show as an equity actor - 2008 has been a great year. I had the best time working on Orpheus in the Underworld because I had the great pleasure of working with Greg Fritsch who is a terrific director and even though he is meticulous about what he wants, he goes about it in such a nice way that all you want to do is perform well for him.
I dropped out of Children of Eden for a number of reasons but largely because my yet un-diagnosed diabetes was causing me health issues. Doing Cabaret was certainly the most stressful and challenging endeavor I had this year but it is also the most rewarding. I am thrilled that my producers were pleased with my work and that I truly gave 150% of myself to the project. I am not sure if I'll be MD'ing anytime soon. It is a lot of work and there are enough brilliant MD's working in the Bay Area today.
My recital was a project that I started to leisurely work on two years ago and like a real theatre piece I changed it even on performance night. It was without a doubt the greatest night of my career thus far. Just a magical night all around.
The most fun I have had this year and with doing any show is without a doubt Every Christmas Story Ever Told. Working with Kevin, Colin, Michael, Selina - the entire crew and the wonderful family that is San Jose Stage was such a blessing and I cannot wait to be back.
This year I didn't catch a lot of theatre but I did see some incredible performances - especially Christiane Noll in Little Shop at AMT but probably the one that affected me most was C. Kelly's portrayal of Caroline in Caroline or Change at TW. That production was out of this world (loved it so much I saw it twice.) Other great shows include Babes in Hollywood at Hillbarn, Altar Boyz and Turn of the Screw at San Jose Stage, Snapshots at TW, Love Person at MTC and Hair at City Lights. The best play I saw was Bug at SF Playhouse - Jon Tracy's production had everything you want in a great evening of theatre - great acting, set, sound, lights and of course direction. I am trying to make it to see Macbeth at Shotgun and I have heard great things about it.
Balancing school and work was no easy task this year but I got through it in one piece and passed everything and I am not happy at all about having to do six more units in the spring in order to graduate but that's life I guess. At school the most rewarding thing I have done this year is write my spiritual autobiography. It was a healing experience. Sorry y'all I'm afraid I'm not able to post it here...you'll have to wait for the book someday. =+) I hope that 2009 is an even better year for us all.
Happy Holidays Everyone!
=+)
M.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home