THEATRE RESPONSE: RAGTIME

I attended the preview performance of BBBAY’s Ragtime. It was amazing how many people I knew that were involved with the production so I had to go see it. I always feel like I’m home when I go see a show at BBBAY. In the audience I ran into my friends Paul Araquistain (who will be performing in the world premiere of Terrence McNally’s Crucifixion over at New Conservatory Theatre), Cabaret’s Brian Couch & costume designer Barbara Rosen (who did an amazing job costuming the 50+ actors onstage!)
Director Brooke Knight (who directed me in Jesus Christ Superstar & Cabaret) has done an amazing job with this show. It is visually stunning. Of course she has the best team ever - my pal Mark Hanson is the musical director & conductor, and the great duo of Berle Davis & Robyn Tribuzi did the amazing choreography (The Getting Ready Rag was hot!) The lighting by Michael Ramsaur was just phenomenal.
Standouts in the cast were my World Goes ‘Round cast mate Linda Piccone who kicks ass as Emma Goldman and my Sweeney Todd cast mate Andrew Sanford as the Little Boy - this kid is amazing and has such great stage presence at such a young age! I know he has a great career waiting for him. I am the ultimate Audra McDonald fan and didn’t know what to expect of the actress playing Sarah, but Dawn L. Troupe made the role her own and was fantastic.
Though the show runs a bit long but it is definitely worth seeing. The show performs until October 9th.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home